Thursday, September 8, 2011

Whatcom Middle School


November 5, 2009
September 1, 2011

Whatcom Middle School, our county's oldest school, was severely damaged in a fire while under renovations in 2009. Less than two years later, thanks to an extraordinary amount of  cooperation between the city and the builders, Whatcom Middle School opened its doors once more. My grandmother, sister, daughters, and I all toured the school, basically brand-new other than the original facade. Together with my late mother and great-grandmother, we comprise five generations of past and future Whatcom students. Hooray for Whatcom!

5 comments:

  1. What a nice tribute, Lizzi. Your roots go deep in Bellingham, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Jack. My mom's side of the family has been here since the 1880's. My dad's side are California transplants (I actually lived in California till I was ten), so I get to be both long-time local and contentious Californian!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a legacy! The renovations look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your family and this school have quite a history together. So happy to see it rise from the ashes with such grace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They did a great job with the rebuilding, modern inside but keeping the historical facade. You must feel such a tie to the school with all of the past and future history. - Margy

    ReplyDelete