Thursday, August 26, 2010

Lavender


Lavender's blue, dilly dilly. Lavender's green.
When I am king, dilly dilly, you'll be my queen.
Who told me so, dilly dilly? Who told me so?
'Twas my own heart, dilly dilly, that told me so.

I've always loved this old English folk song; it has such a sweet melody that makes me nostalgic for my childhood. Here's a little clip of Burl Ives singing a short version of the song from the Disney movie "So Dear to My Heart."

One of the many things I meant to do this summer (and didn't) was visit the lavender festival in Sequim, Washington, "the lavender capital of North America." I've only seen pictures, but wandering through fields and fields of lavender sounds magical to me. Shannon from Sequim Daily Photo has some nice lavender photos on her blog. Anyway, even a small patch of lavender, such as this one in Birch Bay, makes for a pretty picture.

I can't believe the summer's almost over... and there are so many things I was going to do! Next year, I guess. The canoe races on the Lummi indian reservation, the Subdued Stringband Jamboree, the Anacortes Art Festival... stay tuned, dear reader, because next year I'm doing it all!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, how pretty! Magpie is going to like this for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to keep some at all times, when I can. There is a big bush of it growing wild near my office.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely photo of some deliciously fragrant flowers.
    i do wish they grew better in the midwest.
    love them.

    ReplyDelete