Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Place for all Faiths... Including the Lack Thereof.

This stained glass window is in the chapel at the Skagit Valley Hospital, where I spent much of my morning yesterday supporting my good friend Alex while she gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. Like all hospital chapels, it's a place for people of any faith to come for quiet and comfort.

This morning, the memory of that softly silent, warmly lit chapel evokes surprisingly strong emotions for someone who is not religious. My two chief emotions are opposite and extreme. I want to thank whoever, whatever, for the miracle of a perfect new life. Yet on the same day this one new life was given, thousands were taken away in the most awful, devastating way. How many baby girls lost their lives in Haiti yesterday? How many grandmothers, how many dads? How many people are still buried under the rubble, crying for help? I would ask why, if I believed there were anyone to ask.

6 comments:

  1. Welcome to the new baby girl! Let's try to make the world a better place for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, so, true. Several years ago on the day my mother died, my granddaughter was born. Balance. Angels coming and going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every life is precious. Every moment is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you, perhaps, I don't expect answers. I have ceased asking questions, because I have concluded that there are no answers. Haiti is a freak of nature that just happened. No sentient being/creature/spirit visited it upon the populace as a punishment. It just happened. What is important to me, is the way in which we react to this devastation. That we dont allow the turning of the globe to move us on to the football season, or something.

    You photograph is most striking. Especially vivid colours and the bars.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have those question too. Similar to Chuck--When my Grandmother died my daughter was born. It's a give and take. MB

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is like Dave Matthews song " Funny the Way It Is" where he sings "Funny the way it is, if you think about it, one kid walks ten miles to school and the other is dropping out, funny the way it is, not right or wrong, a soldier's last breath and babies being born..." It is a really good song!

    ReplyDelete